“Research Topics in Social Stigmergy”, an elective proposed by the Doctoral Program in Complexity Sciences (ISCTE-IUL / FCUL). Students from other doctoral programs from ISCTE-IUL and FCUL are welcome.
Goal | Program | Real-Time Composition | Faculty | Assessment | Calendar | Contact
Doctoral students will develop competencies related to the understanding of social stigmergic behaviour, and will contribute to the research in this domain.
- Which are the existing sources of literature, and the essential theoretical concepts in the domain of Social Stigmergy. Case studies in biology, zoology, and sociology;
- Simulate in computer social models with stigmergic interaction;
- Participation in stigmergic improvisation games in a laboratory, using the Real-Time Composition Method, under the supervision of a choreographer;
- Write a scientific article including a description and critical analysis of the previous experiment;
- Workshop about Social Stigmergy. Present and discuss the scientific article previously mentioned.
- “A brief introduction to Real Time Composition method“, text by João Fiadeiro.
- Movie documenting the 2014 art residence at Museu de Arte Contemporânea de Serralves, where the RTC method has been applied in a non-performative environment (in portuguese):
- Real Time Composition applied in a performative environment at the Centre National de la Danse (Paris) and the Centre Choréographique National (Montpellier), 2005 (in french):
- João Fiadeiro – Choreographer. Research interests include Art and Science, collective improvisation processes, Social Stigmergy.
- Jorge Louçã – Professor of Computer Science at ISCTE-IUL. Actual coordinator of the Master and PhD programs in Complex Systems at ISCTE-IUL. Research interests include modelling complex social systems through intensive data collection and analysis.
- Participation on the theoretical sessions (20%)
- Participation on the improvisation games (20%)
- Organisation of the workshop (20%)
- Scientific article
- text (20%)
- presentation (20%).
- To be defined
always at ISCTE-IUL
Marisa Manteigas – firstname.lastname@example.org